html – hyper text mark up language – the elements from which a webpage is built
CSS – Cascading Style Sheets
XML – Extensible mark up language
Audience – students, designers or possible employers.
Index – home page.
Gallery – style
Images – my final pieces
Thumbs – thumbnails
FTP– File Transfer Protocol – Network protocol to transfer files from one host to another.
34sp.com – to buy a domain – cheap – £3.99 a month – one click service for WordPress.
Root folder – where all the files are saved.
Open Source software – Code that is accessible and can be edited by anyone.
Here is the website where I downloaded SimpleViewer. The website tells me that ‘SimpleViewer is a free, customizable image viewing application. Lightweight and easy to use, it features smart preloading, a resizable interface, thumbnail menu and optional description text.’
Quote from ‘http://www.simpleviewer.net/products/‘
First of all I installed the svBuilder.air file.
Here is what the SimpleViewer Builder looks like.
Dreamweaver > site > new site. I then needed to give the site a name.
We called this site ‘Simpleviewer Test’. Then I clicked on the little folder icon.
Now I looked for the location where I wanted to save it. I clicked ‘Choose’.
In this case I saved it on my memory stick in a folder called ‘Website’. I clicked the save button.
Then I double clicked ‘gallery.xml’.
Here I clicked ‘Open’.
Here is what the code looks like in the gallery.xml file. Blue text can’t be edited, green text can.
It probably is quite difficult to see but near the top where it says:
I changed it to:
title – Text to display as gallery title
textColor – Colour of text, set as a hexadecimal code.
frameColor – Colour of frame around images, hexadecimal code.
frameWidth – Width of frame around images in pixels.
thumbColumns – Number of columns for thumbnail images.
thumbRows – Number of rows for thumbnail images.
maxImageWidth – Sets maximum width of images in pixels.
maxImageHeight – Sets maximum height of images in pixels.
Now I double clicked ‘index.html’.
Here is what the page looks like.
We downloaded these images from Moodle.
In the simpleviewer_230 file I opened the images file and deleted two files called tall.jpg and wide.jpg. I then put the new images into the folder called ‘images’.
I also needed to make some new thumbnails to replace the old ones. I used Photoshop for this. I made a new file with the size 110px x 75px. I set the resolution to 72dpi.
I opened up the image called Cloud2.jpg and dragged it over in to the new file I’d made. I moved the image around until I got a nice looking thumbnail picture. I then saved the new file in the thumbs folder. I did this for all three images.
I then deleted off the code, from the bottom, so only three lots were left. Originally there was nine lots of code but I’m only using three pictures. I had to be careful not to delete this part from the very bottom though:
I changed the code so it went from:
I should have called the thumb image Cloud2 like the original image. I fixed that after but I don’t have a screen shot for it.
There is also the option of adding in a link and caption.
I will be finishing this work in the next class.