4) Now select ONE designer or company that you find particularly inspiring. Choose THREE pieces of design (these might be separate items or three campaigns of linked items) and make analysis of each of these:
- Why do you like it find it inspiring?
The reasons I find it inspiring will be explained in detail in the answers to the next questions. I have read the questions in advance and I don’t want to repeat myself.
- What is the message/purpose of the piece?
- Who is the audience and HOW does it hail the audience?
- In what ways would you say it is innovative (if it is) OR why is it appropriate for this piece to use traditional conventions?
- Outline the signifiers and how they tell you anything about the signified meaning – look at things like messages, narrative, quality, hailing and anything else that you deduce.
I think this logo is like a symbol and its meaning has to be learnt. I think once a person has seen it once, whenever they see it again it will jog their memory and they will know it symbolises the London Vision Clinic.
The main signifier for this design is the shape of the eye. I was surprised how well their design emulates the look of an iris.
The signified meaning tells me that this clinic knows and understands how intricate and delicate my eyes are so I should have my surgery with them.
- Would you say that this designer or design company has a recognisable style – if so describe why this is, or say why this is not the case.
Here is some information I found out about the design.
‘Harley Street-based London Vision Clinic is the UK’s foremost laser eye-surgery clinic, using the latest technology to treat prescription-strength and refractive eye conditions. It challenged Hat-Trick Design to create an identity that reflected the intricate and delicate nature of the surgery. Hat-Trick developed five guilloche ‘eye’ patterns, created using a single icon repeated to form the eye shape. Each icon represented a key stage in the process: screening, service, treatment, results and aftercare.’
‘Benchmarks Awards 2009
Category: Pharmaceuticals/Healthcare – programmes
London Vision Clinic by Hat-Trick Design